Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Thought About Babies and Cleanliness


"I wasn't going to make a mess, Mom. Promise!"

Pardon the cellphone quality picture...

My post for today is just a simple thought:

I love cleanliness. I love my baby. But on most occasions that little fella does not = cleanliness. So what is a mother to do?

I was having a conversation with my older sister, Jennifer, when I thought to ask her, how does one keep their house/apartment clean with a little guy who is very efficient at pulling things out of boxes, drawers, and cupboards? Very quickly the answer came to my mind, you don't. Just get down there and play with him.

I take time to clean up, but I'll be honest, I'm usually behind in one way or another. It's all a part of the grand adventure that is parenthood. I so appreciated Ariel's post about getting out. If I spent my child's entire life cleaning, what would I have really taught him? There are certainly grand lessons in cleaning and doing chores, but if that is all that is focused on, so many things will be missed.

Thank Heaven for those illuminating moments!

Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Too bad Peter's current messes are the kind I can't ignore...

    Great message Melissa, about putting the most important things first.

    ReplyDelete